Monday, March 19, 2007

Flashdance

Get a load of these:


Legwarmers. For a baby. I had no idea they'd become de rigeur for the infant set. My hair dresser asked if I could make something like these as a gift for a pregnant friend. She told me to charge whatever I thought was fair, and then she offered to swap me a haircut for the legwarmers. $85 for one of her haircuts. I'm in. One issue with the yarn: the color run lengths aren't consistent. I thought maybe my gauge had changed from one to the other, but 50 rows on one is the same length as 50 rows on the other. The stripes simply aren't the same width.

Yarn: Regia 4-ply, color 5048 Clown
Needles: 2.5mm Knit Picks Classic Circular (Magic Loop)
CO: 48 sts
Gauge: 8.5 sts/12 rows per inch
Pattern: my own

Here's what else is on my needles:

This sock might never have a mate. Reading my knitting on the first sock was nearly impossible. It's hard to know whether or not to decrease if you can't tell what you did the row before. The striping is so subtle that I'd be fine with fraternal socks, except for that white stripe, which makes mismatching obvious.


It's ON-line yarn, color 5048. ON-line is an okay yarn, and I have another skein that I'll knit up someday (easier colors to differentiate), but knitting with it is scratchy. It's not bad on the foot, but there are so many reasons not to use it again. I think my biggest problem with it was that I started this sock after finishing my Cherry Tree Hill 100% merino Monkey Socks.




This is Regia sock yarn in a color I'm too lazy to look up. I love this cheerful yarn. I feel happy just looking at it. I didn't start the second one right after the first because as I was decreasing for the toes I noticed I had more stitches on the sole than the instep. I hadn't decreased the gusset stitches down to 16 stitches on each needle, but rather to 18. Which means the foot circumference ended up 1/2" bigger than I intended. I may have to rip back, because it feels looser than I'm going to be able to stand. Either that, or I have to find someone with wider feet and make the second one to match. Still, the idea of ripping back 1/2 the foot was too depressing to deal with right away. So I moved on.

To these:

Notice I had no problem starting the second sock on this one. The colors look crappy because I took the picture at night under artificial light, but they're in the laundry now, so I can't re-take the photo.

Yarn: Lana Grossa Meilenweit Multieffekt, color 3123

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recognized that Online Yarn sock -- I'm midway though the first sock of a pair from that same yarn. My opinion of it is a lot like yours:
http://kmkat.typepad.com/kmkat_and_her_kneedles/2007/02/centerpull_mess.html

Just found your blog from your comment on the Harlot's blog. Yay -- another Mpls knitter!